Saturday, August 1, 2009

Nicolas Anelka Enjoying Chelsea's New Formation

Nicolas Anelka's 15th league strike of the season sent Chelsea into third place at the expense of Aston Villa
Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka is looking forward to playing more games as an out-and-out centre-forward rather than out wide, with new manager Carlo Ancelotti favouring a 4-4-2 formation featuring a diamond-shaped midfield.

Last season, Anelka often found himself shunted out wide in order to allow Didier Drogba into the side, as the Blues continued to favour a 4-3-3 line-up, but he is now acclimatising himself to the new formation and his partnership with his Ivorian strike partner.

"I like the new system, and we just have to learn again to play in this new way. Last season I was on my own up front, then on the left and the right, so now I am central with Didier and I think it is going to work well," he told the club's official website.
"After some games I will start to learn a little more this position because we can swap together and I think it will be like when I was on the right, it will take time to get used to but after that it will be okay."

Chelsea face Championship side Reading tomorrow in their final pre-season game before the August 9 date in the Community Shield against Manchester United at Wembley, having returned from their tour of the United States.

"It was a good trip to America but now we have to move on, we are back in England and London and we are a little more concentrated because the season is coming soon," he added.

"We have to be ready, we have one more game and then in a week it is Manchester United.

"It is still a little bit difficult, it will take a few days but we are back in training and it is good. It was a successful tour for us, we won all of our games and played well against some big teams, so things are looking good."

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share