Cech reflected on what he describes as his ‘worst period’ at Chelsea and how Guus Hiddink’s arrival ensured Chelsea regained their fighting spirit.
"I had two bad games but it shouldn't take away from my consistent form during the season. After five years at the club, it was the most criticism I've had,” Cech told Chelsea Magazine.
"We threw away the title because of our form in December and January but after that we did brilliantly.
"In Mr Hiddink's time here we had a superb record and played very well. We never actually lost in the Champions League knock out stages so our exit was really tough to take.
"The final months were very interesting, exciting even. When you are at a club like Chelsea any loss is disappointing because we are one of the best teams in Europe."
Cech insists he is experienced enough to ‘stay calm’ and maintains he is working on things he could possibly do a ‘little better’.
He said: "I always look to improve and I analyse the bad games exactly the same as the good. You can pre-plan as much as you want but the game is based on instincts a lot of the time so it's not always possible."
He added: “One hundred and eighty minutes doesn't make me a bad goalkeeper and doesn't take away from the thousands of minutes where I have played well.
"I understand the media interest because they like to follow your ups and downs and they were my first big 'mistakes' at Chelsea. I accept that."
Cech, 27, admits his position between the posts in unique and he has a special relationship with his fellow 'keepers.
"There is definitely an unspoken understanding between the 'goalkeepers union.' I keep in touch with other goalkeepers like Pepe Reina, to joke about who can keep the most clean sheets.
"I find it's good to share experiences because it helps you learn. Keepers always back one another. If one of us has had a bad game, the other keeper will commiserate and put his arm around your shoulder and say 'it's only a game.'
"As a keeper it's always your fault if you make mistakes. When the outfield players make mistakes, it doesn't always affect the game in the same way. That makes being in goal a really tough job.
"We're not crazy, just very brave. We have to throw ourselves at people's feet in the six yard box and it's not easy but when you make a good save, you get such a rush, it's like a striker when he scores a good goal.
"That's why I like being a goalkeeper. I have always like individual sports like tennis, and goalkeeping has its unique aspects but I prefer team sports like ice hockey because you get a sense of camaraderie and working together towards one goal."
No comments:
Post a Comment